As you approach the job of selling your house, it pays to use an independent real estate advisor to put you in the right direction about real estate agents, how to sell a house fast, comparing real estate appraisals and commission and fees.
It also helps to understand the issues encountered by home sellers which leave them less than satisfied by their real estate experience. We have been tracking these issues since 2009 and have found a pattern of common irritants.
These issues show how a lack of attention to detail and small decisions that seem of low importance at the time, can create big problems for sellers.
Problems can include sitting on the market for long periods unsold, low levels of buyer interest and waning contact from your real estate agent as a result.
None of them are rocket science, more related to basic client care than anything else.
Real Estate Advisor reports common gripes
- Inaccurate price marketing
- Poor headings used to describe a property in the advertising material
- Poor quality photographs for marketing go live prior to the vendor's consent to use them
- Poor and/or irregular communication and feedback from the real estate agent after the listing agreement is signed
- Undue pressure to take their properties to auction
- Grammatical errors in the advertising text
- Lack of feedback and communication about viewings
- Real Estate Agents letting keen buyers slip away too easily
- Point out all the negatives of a home to lower the sale price
Usually, these gripes are picked up within the first week or two of signing with an agency or going live online.
As a home seller, you need to be able to rely on your real estate agent for the optimum level of service, consistently, from the beginning to the end of the process.
NB: The above list is separate to complaints made to the Real Estate Authority (REA) which is the body that responds to official complaints lodged about real estate agents.
Over the last three years, the number of complaints has amounted to more than 1800.
If you do your due diligence, you shouldn't expect to become a statistic.
You might also like:
- How to pay the least real estate costs in NZ
- Step by step process of selling a house
- Sale and Purchase Agreement - before you sign