Once the decision is made to put your house on the market, one of the following thoughts is often, 'I don't want it to linger on the market, so how can I sell my house fast?'
The reality is, the speed of your sale will largely depend on the quality of your pre-market preparation and decision-making, so don't rush to market without getting things lined up properly first.
Selling Your House Fast: The Proven Formula
History has proven that there is a formula in real estate - but most people don't realise it.
Indeed, for many people, this will be their first experience of selling a house, and it's not a process you want to blunder into.
Wise Up has a decade of data that identifies the determinants of whether your house will sell fast - or not.
We also have some useful tools to help you understand the process better.
Make sure you see these guides:
Marketing tips to sell your house fast
Preparation - An important part of marketing a property for sale is identifying things that may threaten the sale and coming up with strategies for how these can be fixed, or managed with integrity by your agent.
- Go over the property and write a list of all the things that should be repaired or finished.
- Decide whether your home needs a fresh coat of paint - this is a relatively low cost way to make your house fresh and appealing.
- Tidy up the garden - if need be hire a gardening service to whip it into shape.
- Assess your property's street appeal with a critical eye - some small changes such as outdoor plants at the entrance, a fresh coat of paint on the door, a new doormat, filling in gaps in the garden with some easy care plants, can make a big difference.
- Declutter and stage your home
Don't cover it up - Covering up or hiding property problems doesn't make them go away. You should always assume that a property inspection report will pick these up and could cause your sale to fall over.
Do due diligence - Ensure any outstanding council compliance consents are completed and that you have a copy.
Don't underestimate the need for due diligence when the pressure is on to sell.
For more free advice on how to sell your house fast, and NZ's free real estate agent vetting service, Live Chat with Agent Finder NZ.