NZ's Most Reputable & Independent Hub Of Property And Real Estate Advice


Home Sale By Owner

If selling your home privately, be aware of the issues, and make sure you understand your legal obligations by checking out the example documents below first.

Selling or buying real estate is a legal process which can unexpectedly become complex. Real estate agents are trained to navigate all the ins and outs.

However, as in all legal matters, the consequences can be far reaching if things go wrong so we recommend you use a Specialist Property Lawyer.

Sample legal documents for a private home sale

We have centralised here, a sample list of reports and legal documents that you might need, along with relevant links, to help you better understand some of the responsibilities and documents that private sellers will encounter.

Whether you are using a real estate agent or selling privately, some or many of these will be part of the picture. There may be others, depending on your property type or description.

If you intend to buy or sell your home privately, you will need to know how to navigate these yourself which is why so few take the risk and go it alone. Even lawyers and real estate agents use real estate agents.

Real Estate Commission The Contentious Point?

Kiwis often defer to a private home sale because of real estate commission and fees. If this sounds like you, you can find lots of advice about commission here which includes examples of fees and advice about negotiating commission, getting the best sale price and minimising costs. It's really helpful.

Make sure you understand the Sale and Purchase Agreement.

Understand your legal obligations - what you need to know

Owner Sell Home

Structural integrity is one of the most common reports requested by home buyers.

Is your home sound?

  • Structural integrity of a building is one of the most common inspections included in the conditions of a sale. Make sure you use a professionally qualified and trained building surveyor from a member of the Building Officials Institute of NZ (BOINZ).
  • Home Owners and Buyers Association of NZ (HOBANZ) provides consumer Guidance and Support services that cover buying and selling, with a particular focus on leaky homes.
  • A word of warning, make sure any building inspection report is addressed to all who will be relying on its accuracy. If it is not addressed to you, you have no come back if errors are made.

Things buyers might search or request information on

  • LIM – Land Information Memorandum which is held by your local authority
  • PIM – Consumer NZ explains about a Property Information Memorandum
  • Survey Plans (Title Sheet) show legal boundaries, area and dimensions which include easements
  • COC - Code of Compliance for any finished renovations, extensions or repairs that required Council consent
  • Electrical Code of Compliance for any new electrical work installed into a home
  • Insurance companies are now requiring Electrical Inspections Certificates for properties built pre-1938. Check with your insurance company sooner rather than later. Agreements can fall over because a buyer can't get insurance on your property.

The number and range of reports needed has increased with the advent of the Christchurch earthquakes, meth contamination in houses, and leaky homes. Be prepared for the things buyers might request.

  • Moisture Reports can be sought if required to satisfy any doubts about the cladding or moisture issues
  • Methamphetamine testing reports requested by buyers
  • Property Conveyance reports are easily explained here

Private home sale - further homework

  • Cross lease titles and Unit Titles are explained for buyers and sellers to better understand the difference
  • Architectural drawings or other proof if marketing a house as ‘architecturally designed’. If your house has not been designed by a registered architect, it has not been architecturally designed
  • The Sale and Purchase Agreement, conditions and clauses and any associated risks to you
  • For GST and whether it applies to you, the Inland Revenue Department has an informative download.
  • Pre-Settlement Inspections of the property are done just prior to settlement to ensure all matters are attended to as per your Sale and Purchase Agreement clauses. This includes the chattels
  • Independent Property Valuation Reports and/or Council Valuation Reports
  • If selling a unit in a unit title, Tenancy Services provide buyers with advice and expectations for buying this type of property and sellers will understand what will be asked of them
  • Selling Smarter Kit - request this PDF kit which provides an effective formula for Smarter Selling Strategies
Home Sale By The Owner

This is not an exhaustive list but will primarily cover most real estate property transactions. For professional advice, talk to your lawyer or you can find a property lawyer here.

Alternatively, if you decide you want to use a licensed real estate agent, there is free advice available about where to start.

Make an Enquiry

You might also like: